Thursday 25 February 2016

56/16 My Monologues & Musings : I do the Scribe in me (Mk 12:38-40)

56/16 My Monologues & Musings : I do the Scribe in me  (Mk 12:38-40)
“Beware of the scribes who like to walk around in long robes, and like respectful greetings in the market places, 39and chief seats in the synagogues and places of honor at banquets, 40 who devour widows’ houses, and for appearance’s sake offer long prayers; these will receive greater condemnation.”

Dear Jesus,
How easy is to get hooked on to power and position especially in the context of my religious practices. I love to parade my piety and pious practices. Somehow I get a kind of a pleasure of showing off my bogus piety thinking that it impresses those who see me. Little do I realize that others easy recognise my fake piety.  

Dear Jesus,
Often enough my religious practices and performances as a priest are shallow and are mainly meant to show off and impress others!
Yes, there is a little Scribe often alive and kicking in me. The strange thing is despite his characteristic hypocrisy I seem to like him and encourage him to be alive and active through me!

Being a priest there is ample opportunity  to parade my piety before a receptive congregation, Right, Lord?

Dear Jesus,
As look at my past performances of parading my piety I have often been very successful in fooling people!  I have become an expert in impressing the people
with my often pretending piety.
You know it, Lord, Don't You?

Dear Jesus,
There is a certain amount of inherent temptation to pretend and to show off our piety as it requires heroic efforts us priests to be genuinely pious and religious.
It is easier to fake than faithfully pious.
i have often thought:
that i can win the approval of the people,
if I were to give a good firey preaching,
if i were to celebrate a sentimental the Holy Eucharist,
if I were to offer long emotional prayers,and if i were to involve in lots of social activities,
I would make a good priest!  

Dear Jesus,
I have done so.
I have had initial euphoric success.
But gradually I began to feel unauthentic and empty as priest and as a teacher.

Dear Jesus,
I want to stop faking a good priest looking for attention and applause.
I am far from being an ideal priest.
I am more of a smart Scribe.
I want to replace the attention seeking  Scribe in me with a caring priest.

Dear Jesus,
I bring before you:
Everyone one of my loved ones.
Everyone one of enemies who were and are.
Everyone who loves as well as hates me.
Everyone whom I love and whom i hate.
Everyone who helps me and who don't.
Everyone whom i have lead astray.
Everyone who is sick and needs healing.
Everyone who is in despair and needs hope.
Every priest who is in need of prayers.
Everyone who has met with me!

Oh, Jesus, My Lord and My God,
I thank You,
I thank the Father,
I thank the Spirit,
For Your Unsolicited gift of life for me!
For Your Uncountable blessings for me!
For Your Unlimited Patience with me!
For Your Untold Forgiveness for me!
For Your Unflinching faith in me!
For Your Unfailing Hope in me!
For Your Unconditional Love of me!
Amen
JoAchen
Thursday, 25th February, 2016

These Reflections are neither pure scientific exegesis nor are they any highly theological explanations. They are a sort of devotional musings and monologues mainly meant for my personal renewal and spiritual growth. They are a part of my journaling as a Prodigal Priest trying to make my pilgrimage back to the Home of our Heavenly Father. As I keep holding you in my prayers and I request you to include me in yours. Thank you!  

No comments:

Post a Comment