Wednesday 2 March 2016

59/16 My Monologues & Musings :  The Greedy Tenants ( Mt 21:33-41)


Listen to another parable: There was a landowner who planted a vineyard. He put a wall around it, dug a winepress in it and built a watchtower.y Then he rented the vineyard to some farmers and moved to another place.z34 When the harvest time approached, he sent his servants to the tenants to collect his fruit.35 “The tenants seized his servants; they beat one, killed another, and stoned a third.b36 Then he sent other servants to them, more than the first time, and the tenants treated them the same way. 37 Last of all, he sent his son to them. ‘They will respect my son,’ he said.38 “But when the tenants saw the son, they said to each other, ‘This is the heir.d Come, let’s kill him and take his inheritance.’f39 So they took him and threw him out of the vineyard and killed him.40 “Therefore, when the owner of the vineyard comes, what will he do to those tenants?”41 “He will bring those wretches to a wretched end,”g they replied, “and he will rent the vineyard to other tenants,h who will give him his share of the crop at harvest time.”

Musings of the Greedy Tenants
“Here we are, disgracefully dismissed and desperately dispirited and recalling our arrogant actions.
We were cock sure the owner will never turn up demanding the income from the harvest. We thought to ourselves: after all we have worked hard to cultivate it and care for his vineyard. when grape were ripe, we were convinced that we had the right to claim it for ourselves.
After all it is fruit of our toil and sweat, isn't it?
Besides, the owner is immensily rich he doesn't need the income from this vineyard.
These and similar were the thoughts which revolved around our minds. We conveniently forgot that we don't own the vineyard. We were just the caretakers, the custodians, and the trustees who were paid well for our work. We had a duty to report back! But our greed and envy made us arrogant. Our right thinking gave to way to greed and averice. We do deserve the punishment meted out to us. Well, we were given the opportunity to earn for our daily living. But we squandered it!
Will we ever get another chance to correct our mistakes and and yet another opportunity to care for the  vineyard as faithful tenants!
How we wish to start all over and once again!”

Thank you, dear tenants for your musings.
I had been behaving very much like you all.
Many a times my greed and averice have taken me over.

Dear Jesus,
You entrusted with me the vineyard of my life. I often forget the fact my life is entrusted with me as a trustee. And I was doing whatever I like with my life. I live my life as if I own it without having to report to anyone. I have squandered tones of opportunities given to me! Every opportunity was like a vineyard to be cultivated and cared for. Often I forget that I am only tenant and a trustee of my life!
I have neglected to tend the vineyard of my life despite the fact that you have  been well providing my life with all that is required to bring forth the best fruits and a real good harvest.

Dear Jesus,
As a son and as a grandson,  
As a brother and a cousin,
As a friend and as a foe,
As a student and as a seminarian,
As a religious confrere and as a priest,
As a pastor and as a teacher,
As a senior priest and as a human being,
I have been careless with the vineyard of my life and killed many of the opportunities you had been offering.

Dear Jesus,
You did have great plans and high hopes for me and for the vineyard of my life, Right?
But I have often disappointed you,
Haven't I, Lord?
Yet, you continue to pour your love and forgiveness over me!
You haven't cast me out yet!
Thank you, Lord!  A million thank you!

Dear Jesus,
Before my time for your Mercy runs out
I want to be a trustworthy tenant and
I want to be a faithful trustee of the vineyard of my life you have entrusted me.
As I am inching towards the end of the pilgrimage of life, i want meet you with
a fruitful harvest of the vineyard of my life.

Dear Jesus,
I bring before you:
Everyone one of my loved ones.
Everyone one of enemies who were and are.
Everyone who loves as well as hates me.
Everyone whom I love and whom i hate.
Everyone who helps me and who don't.
Everyone whom i have lead astray.
Everyone who is sick and needs healing.
Everyone who is in despair and needs hope.
Every priest who is in need of prayers.
Everyone who has met with me!

Oh, Jesus, My Lord and My God,
I thank You,
I thank the Father,
I thank the Spirit,
For Your Unsolicited gift of life for me!
For Your Uncountable blessings for me!
For Your Unlimited Patience with me!
For Your Untold Forgiveness for me!
For Your Unflinching faith in me!
For Your Unfailing Hope in me!
For Your Unconditional Love of me!
Amen
JoAchen
Sunday, 28th February, 2016

These Reflections are neither pure scientific exegesis nor are they any highly theological explanations. They are a sort of devotional musings and monologues mainly meant for my personal renewal and spiritual growth. They are a part of my journaling as a Prodigal Priest trying to make my pilgrimage back to the Home of our Heavenly Father. As I keep holding you in my prayers and I request you to include me in yours. Thank you!  

No comments:

Post a Comment