Sunday 31 January 2016

31/16 My Monologues & Musings : Mercy Incarnate at Cana ( 2:1-11)

31/16 My Monologues & Musings : Mercy Incarnate at Cana (Jn 2: 1-11)


“On the third day a wedding took place at Cana in Galilee. Jesus’ mother was there,  and Jesus and his disciples had also been invited to the wedding. 3 When the wine was gone, Jesus’ mother said to him, “They have no more wine.”
4 “Woman, why do you involve me?” Jesus replied. “My hour has not yet come.”
5 His mother said to the servants, “Do whatever he tells you.”
6 Nearby stood six stone water jars, the kind used by the Jews for ceremonial washing,b each holding from twenty to thirty gallons.
7 Jesus said to the servants, “Fill the jars with water”; so they filled them to the brim.
8 Then he told them, “Now draw some out and take it to the master of the banquet.”
They did so, 9 and the master of the banquet tasted the water that had been turned into wine. He did not realize where it had come from, though the servants who had drawn the water knew. Then he called the bridegroom aside 10 and said, “Everyone brings out the choice wine first and then the cheaper wine after the guests have had too much to drink; but you have saved the best till now.”
11 What Jesus did here in Cana of Galilee was the first of the signs through which he revealed his glory; and his disciples believed in him.”


Musings of Jesus…..
“Sure, a lot has been written, spoken, and preached about this Cana Event. There are a number of noble thoughts contained in the miracle of Cana such as:
-  the concern of my mother.
- her desire to bail out the family from a       very probable shame having not enough wine to be served  for the wedding guests.
- my unwillingness to get involved and bail out the host family in need by citing theological objection.
- her non-nagging attitude.
- her positive and optimistic waiting.
- the spontaneous appreciation of the chief steward.
- happiness of the bride and bridegroom
- the admiration of my disciples and their faith in me.
- etc.. ….. …
As a young male adult, my natural and initial impulse was to say no to the request of my mother. I didn't want to be dictated by her. It was a sort of natural rebellion against a possessive mother instinct.
So I flatly denied her request citing theology.
Then, again, purely on human level,
I thought for a moment :
Like any mother, my mother too might have wanted to flaunt me her son and parade my divine power by performing a miracle!
I resented instinctively.
So I said a flat no..  with arrogance I said so.
Then I had my second thoughts:
No ..no.. my mother is not the type who wants to show off..
She is very considerate type. .
She gets involved because of her genuine concern…
She couldn't imagine the host family and especially the bride and bridegroom having to be ashamed due to the lack of wine which was an essential ingredient for a Jewish Wedding.
That's the reason which prompted her to get involved in the situation and approached me hoping to do something even a miracle!
How noble is her concern!
She wants everyone to be as happy as possible!
Oh, my Mother,  you are great indeed!
You truly are a Merciful Mother!
Mother, you are amazing!
You never nagged me.. coming after me..repeating your request!  Great!
On the other hand you waited with sure hope that I will do something about it ..though I initially said an abrupt no.
She went told the helpers to do whatever I would tell them.
She was certain that I would do something  about the lack of wine.
Oh, Mother, you are super!
You, a sort of,  ‘taught’ me:
To be Merciful and
To be Compassionate,
Even at the expense of:
My theological “Hour”!
Thank you, Mother!”

Dear Jesus,
Thank you for your musings!
As we observe the Year of Mercy,
Your decision to perform the miracle at Cana stands out an example of Mercy!
You are indeed the Mercy Incarnate!
You didn't stay stubborn hanging on to your theology of “Hour.”
I love to keep on reminding myself of your willingness to reconsider decisions prompted by thoughts of Mercy!

Oh, Jesus, My Lord and My God,
I thank You,
I thank the Father,
I thank the Spirit,
For Your Unsolicited gift of life for me!
For Your Uncountable blessings for me!
For Your Unlimited Patience with me!
For Your Untold Forgiveness for me!
For Your Unflinching faith in me!
For Your Unfailing Hope in me!
For Your Unconditional Love of me!
Amen
JoAchen
Sunday, 31st January, 2016

These Reflections are neither pure scientific exegesis nor are they any highly theological explanations. They are a  sort of my devotional musings and monologues and a part of my journaling of the Prodigal Priest in me as I struggle to return to the Home of our Heavenly Father. As I keep holding you in my prayers and I request you to include me in yours. Thank you!


No comments:

Post a Comment