Sunday 10 January 2016

10/16:My Monologues & Musings : "no prophet is accepted in prophet’s hometown " Lk 4

10/ 16 My Monologues & Musings :
“Truly I tell you no prophet is accepted in prophet’s hometown” (Lk 4)

“Jesus began speaking in the synagogue, saying, “Today this scripture passage is fulfilled in your hearing.” And all spoke highly of him and were amazed at the gracious words that came from his mouth. They also asked, “Isn’t this the son of Joseph?” He said to them, “Surely you will quote me this proverb, ‘Physician cure yourself’ and say, ‘Do here in your native place the things that we heard were done in Capernaum.’”

And he said, “Amen, I say to you, no prophet is accepted in his own native place. Indeed, I tell you, there were many widows in Israel in the days of Elijah when the sky was closed for three and a half years and a severe famine spread over the entire land. It was to none of these that Elijah was sent, but only to a widow in Zarephath in the land of Sidon. Again, there were many lepers in Israel during the time of Elisha the prophet; yet not one of them was cleaned, but only Naaman the Syrian.”

When the people in the synagogue heard this, they were all filled with fury. They rose up, drove him out of the town, and led him to the brow of the hill on which their town had been built, to hurl him down headlong. But he passed through the midst of them and went away”(Luke 4:21-30).

Dear Jesus,
It must not have been that easy for you to have experienced rejection and hostility from your own kith and kin, Right, Lord?
What a horrible feel to have!
You were not only passively rejected but also actively hounded out to be pushed down from the brow of the hill.
That's terrible indeed!
Besides, you were slighted and ridiculed as the carpenter's son!

Oh, Dear Jesus,
You were so disappointed and dispirited that you couldn't perform any miracle!
Being fully human, sure, it must have been temporarily and partially paralysing your energy and enthusiasm to even to affect healing the sick!
All these prejudice, anger, and attempt to finish you off happened for no fault of yours, right?
In fact, your first ever enemies and opponents were your own people, your own kith and kin!
Doesn't it pain you?
Why is it Lord, we humans behave so?
It seems to in our blood right from the times of Cain, Right, Lord?

Oh, Jesus, My Lord and My God,
When I look at myself, I am no different.Many a times,
I have held and entertained prejudices:
Against my own near and dear ones,
Against my colleagues and confreres,
Against my co-priests and co-workers
Against my superiors and elders,
Against my juniors and students.
Against persons who do better than me.

Oh, Jesus, My Lord and My God,
When I see priests and people doing much better than myself I feel terrible within myself and
I have often entertained the thoughts of :
“Is he not the carpenter's son?”
I just can't stand others doing better than myself. I want to grab all the attention!
That's part of , Lord!

Oh, Jesus, My Lord and My God,
Often due to my insecurity and inferiority,
I have been jealous and envious of others.
At times my insatiable thirst for attention
and appreciation have driven me to be enslaved by a selfish ghetto mentality.

Oh, Jesus, My Lord and My God,  
I may not act out on most of prejudiced thoughts and my feelings of negativity.
But they are there within me, often boiling within me, while outwardly I wear a smile!
There is within me a near constant struggle with these thoughts.
At times I do yield to them ..
At time I deal with them successfully.
That's me, Lord!

Oh, Jesus, My Lord and My God,
There are many of my  fellow humans who I hold as “sons and daughters of the carpenter.”
I want to see them and hold them as fellow  humans who have the same Image and Likeness which you imprinted in me!
I guess, it's going to be a life long struggle!
Be with me Lord!

Oh, Jesus, My Lord and My God,
I thank you for your :
Unsolicited gift of life for me!
Uncountable blessings for me!
Unlimited Patience with me!
Untold Forgiveness for me!
Unflinching faith in me!
Unfailing Hope in me!
Unconditional Love of me!
Amen
JoAchen
Sunday, 10th January, 2016

Dear Reader,
These Reflections are neither pure scientific exegesis nor are they any highly theological explanations. They are a part of my journaling of the Prodigal Priest in me as I struggle to return to the Home of our Heavenly Father. As I keep holding you in my prayers and I request you to include me in yours. Thank you

No comments:

Post a Comment