Thursday 21 January 2016

21/16 My Monologues & Musings : The Rich and Upright Jew (Mk 10: 17-22)

21/16 My Monologues & Musings :
The Rich and Upright  Jewish Man (Mk 10: 17-22)
“As Jesus started on his way, a man ran up to him and fell on his knees before him. “Good teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”
“Why do you call me good?” Jesus answered. “No one is good—except 6God alone. You know the commandments: ‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, you shall not defraud, honor your father and mother.’”
“Teacher,” he declared, “all these I have kept since I was a boy.”
Jesus looked at him and loved him. “One thing you lack,” he said. “Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”
At this the man’s face fell. He went away sad, because he had great wealth.”

Musings of the Rich Man
“Until I met the ‘Good Teacher’ I was very happy and proud about myself because I was living the life of an upright life of a typical Jew. I have been keeping everyone of the Mosaic Law.
Yet when I heard about the Rabbi Jesus I wanted to meet him and talk to him and seek his counsel about leading still a more ideal life.
I wanted impress him too about myself and flaunt my track record of being an Jew!
In hindsight:
May be, I was trying to make a kind of self advertisement!
May be, I wanted to test him too!
May be I was a bit sarcastic about him in the sense that what more could he offer over and above Moses our Law Giver?
Whatever, my meeting with him set in motion a kind of deep self-introspection.
When he threw the challenge to see everything I have follow him..
No..no.. I can't…..
I never thought of the intensity of my attachment to my wealth and all that I have built up around me.
How complacent I have become!
How much am I attached to my present life!
How unwilling I am to do away with my wealth!
I need to reconsider the priorities of my life.
His invitation to follow him keeps haunting me!.....
The more I try not to think of him the more forcefully he fills my mind..
I am awed in admiration for him!
May be I will take up his challenge and follow him!....”

Dear Rich Upright Jewish brother,
You musings do ring a bell in my ears!
Yes, there is so much you in me!
Often I do think like you and ask myself at least outwardly I behave like a good priest and a person.
What more do I lack?
Often I do have a kind of smug feeling about myself!

Dear Jesus,
You know me right through, Don't You?
Remember, the days of my initial formation!
How proud I felt deep within me thinking of the external observances of rules and regulations of the minor seminary and if the novitiate!
Even as a young priest, as a pastor, and as a teacher I prided myself to be at least above average!
Now that I am trying out a kind more simple and silent life style, often I kind inner pride and self complacency!
Dear Jesus,
You know how miserable I am at times, deep within!
Do.keep challenging the Rich and Upright Jew in me!
Lord, I do need it!

Oh, Jesus, My Lord and My God,
I thank You,
The Father, and
The Spirit
For your:
Unsolicited gift of life for me!
Uncountable blessings for me!
Unlimited Patience with me!
Untold Forgiveness for me!
Unflinching faith in me!
Unfailing Hope in me!
Unconditional Love of me!
Amen
JoAchen
Thursday, 21st January, 2016

These Reflections are neither pure scientific exegesis nor are they any highly theological explanations. They are a sort of a journal and devotional musings and monologues of the Prodigal Priest in me as I struggle to return to the Home of our Heavenly Father. As I keep holding you in my prayers and I request you to include me in yours. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment