Thursday 7 January 2016

7/16 My Monologues & Musings : The Grieving Widowed Mother (Lk 7: 11-19)

7/16 My Monologues & Musings : Grieving Widowed Mother (Lk 7: 11-19)

“Soon afterward, Jesus went to a town called Nain, and his disciples and a large crowd went along with him. As he approached the town gate, a dead person was being carried out—the only son of his mother, and she was a widow. And a large crowd from the town was with her. When the Lord saw her, his heart went out to her and he said, “Don’t cry.”

Then he went up and touched the bier they were carrying him on, and the bearers stood still. He said, “Young man, I say to you, get up!” The dead man sat up and began to talk, and Jesus gave him back to his mother.”
……
Musings of a Grieving Widow:

“Oh, my Yahweh, Oh, God of Mercy,
Why have You abandoned me?
Why have you been punishing me?
What have I done so heinous?
I am grief stricken!

Being born a girl child itself was a less happier thing for my parents as a son was always preferred by our Jewish Community.
But my parents had been very loving to me.

They took care of me and brought me up as normal Jewish girl child. They gave me lots love and affection. I had a normal happy childhood enjoying parental love and care.

And then, as soon as I grew up into young maiden, they married me off to a hard working young man, a very devout Jew!
We were happily married and hard working.

We made a home of our own.
My husband and myself were thrilled
To have a son born to us! We were elated. We took him to the Temple in Thanksgiving.
As he grew up to be an adolescent,
We had his the Rite of Initiation,
The ‘Bat Mitzvah”, to be an young adult.
We considered ourselves to be blessed.

Then it was all on a sudden, out of the blue,
my husband was sick. Despite the village medications his health deteriorated.
He was struck with a mysterious sickness.

I prayed hard to Yahweh, our God for healing and health of husband.
But of no avail.
My husband died!

Oh, my Yahweh, Why is it happening to me?
What have I done so bad?
Leaving my son fatherless
And me widowed!

Oh, my Yahweh, why am i widowed?
A state of life every Jewish woman detests!
I just don't understand!
I just can't take it!

But Oh, Yahweh, the God of our Ancestors,
You have at least given me a son to live for!
We have each other to console and to help.
May he continue the family line of his father.

As I watched my son growing up,
I dreamed of him growing great!
I kept on building castles in the air.
I dreamed of becoming a grandmother!

All on a sudden my son fell ill.
Even when he contracts a minor
It got me terribly worried.
Like his father, he became seriously ill.

And then, the unthinkable happened.
My son died!
I  just couldn’t believe it.
I was in deep grief and was shattered!

Oh, No, it can't be!
Oh, my Yahweh, why is it happening to me.
Why am l punished so severely?
Every around keeps blaming me!

They say I have committed grave evil.
That's why I am being punished.
I am reduced into a ridicule, laughing stock.
I have become a curse to my family.

Oh, Yahweh, my God, why are you so cruel?
Why am I punished so severely?
Why am I cutting a sad figure of Job?
Women in my village keep avoiding 0me!

I have no strength to live, I don't want live.
For whom am I to live? Who wants me?
Even Yahweh, my Creator is angry with me.
So why I should be a burden to the earth?

As I followed the lifeless body of my son,
I was weeping and wailing!
All on a sudden, the young Rabbi told me:
“Don't cry!” He looked very compassionate.

Incredible indeed!
I couldn't believe my eyes!
Rabbi Jesus, raised up my son!  
He gave my son back to me alive!

Oh, Rabbi,  Thank you!
You are not any ordinary Rabbi!
There is something Divine about you!
You are Compassionate and Caring!

You must be the Messiah,
We have been waiting for, right?
Thank you for uplifting the despised widow.
Thank you? My Lord and My God!

Oh, Jesus, My Lord and My God,
I want to be compassionate and merciful
To my fellow humans!
I thank you for Merciful Love for me!

Oh, Jesus, My Lord and My God,
I thank you  for your:
Unsolicited gift of life for me!
Uncountable blessings for me!
Unlimited Patience with me!
Untold Forgiveness for me!
Unflinching faith in me!
Unfailing Hope in me!
Unconditional Love of me!
Amen
JoAchen
Thursday,  7th January, 2016


Dear Reader,
These Reflections are neither pure scientific exegesis nor are they any highly theological explanations.They are a part of my journaling of the Prodigal Priest in me as I struggle to return to the Home of our Heavenly Father. As I keep holding you in my prayers and I request you to include me in yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment