Wednesday 29 July 2015

61 My Monologues : Martha of Bethany

61 My Monologues : Martha of Bethany
"I am Martha, the sister of Lazarus and Mary.
I do often reminisce on the  many fond memories I have of the Lord. 
He was a family friend and a frequent visitor.
My sister and brother and myself were very informal in our dealings with him and so was he.
He, sure, did help me to look into myself and grow up.
A couple of his visits are indelible indeed!
On one of his visits, as he entered our house, 
I rushed to the kitchen to prepare a meal for him. While I was busy all by myself in the kitchen, my sister was cosily sitting by his side and was immersed in conversation with the Lord.
I wished and wanted her to come and help me to get the meal ready at the earliest and serve the Lord as quickly as possible.
I waited for her to come on her own...
But she didn't. .
Of course, she was always a bit slow.
Or rather, to be more precise, I was always faster than my sister.
As result, I often used to get impatient with her...
Why couldn't she be like me?
Her slow nature often annoyed me.
And  now and then I used to scold her..
Often she would just be quiet and wouldn't react..
On that day I have had enough..
I couldn't hold it back any more....
I rushed to them from the kitchen and gave a mouthful..
Unmindful of my annoyance, there she was lost in listening to the Lord!
I was real mad..
I did ask the Lord to tell her to come and give a helping hand in the kitchen..
I was sure he would understand me...
and would yield to my request.
To my utter shock,
He not only rebuffed me..
He rebuked me...
He refused. ..
He even told my sister has chosen the better part and he would by any means persuade her to opt out of what she had chosen to do..
Oh, boy,
I was hurt..
I was offended..
I was confused. .
How could the Lord ever tell me off...
so bluntly. .
I knew all along he liked me very much...
But then, how could he say so?
I went back to the kitchen..got the meal ready...
And did serve him..with hurtful feelings and with a wounded heart....
But, in a sense, I was sulking all the while..
I was wondering whether he loves me at all !!!
And loves only my sister..
I was confused...
As i remained unusually silent...
He came near me... 
held my hand..
He told me, "Martha, 
I know you are very hurt...."
You keep thinking that 
I don't like you, right?
Martha, I do like you..
I do love you as much as I love your sister, Mary.
I mean it..Martha!!
Martha, you are a wonderful person..
You are very willing to work hard for others ... just as you were getting a meal ready for me..
Martha, you are very able..
very outgoing...
very..practical, right?
You want others to be like you, right, Martha?
You want  your sister to be like you,
don't you, Martha?
You are tempted to to think that your way is the right way..the best way,
don't you think so, Martha?
Martha, when i came in, 
if only you had asked me what would I like to have?
If only you had asked me whether I was hungry?
I would have said to you..
No Martha, at the moment I am not hungry..
But I was not given a chance to say so.
Before that you rushed to the kitchen. .
with the best of intention
to get a meal ready for me, right Martha?
Then as you were preparing you felt bad that your sister isn't there in the kitchen to give you a helping hand right?
Martha, for some time I had been thinking of telling you.. not to jump into conclusions.
Martha , when I came in through that door all that I want was sit and chat for a while. .
Then latet on we could have thought of getting something ready to eat...
Somehow, your sister Mary picked that up..
I was happy..
Martha,  when you barged in and asked me to suggest Mary to help you I could have asked to go help you.
Had I done that I would not helped you to realize your faulty way of acting and reacting.
Martha, I want you think about it..., won't you?
Martha, you will realize and appreciate as you reflect over..
Martha, you can do it..
You will do it. .
You come out glowing!
.....
After raising of Lazarus at same house for the meal...
Jesus:
"Martha, how happy you are.. no complaining..
Though you  are all by yourself serving the meal..
And you do it so gladly!
Martha,  you don't complain about your sister Mary for not coming and helping out!
Martha, you are great !!!!
You did change, right, Martha?
I just admire you and love you, Martha!"

Martha:
"Thank you,  Lord, thank you!
You, sure, did help me to look at myself and correct my faulty thinking!
Lord, you are awfully great!"

Me:
Dear Martha,
As I keep reflecting on you, it dawns on me that I have been behaving like you.. presuming..
taking things for granted..
expecting others to fall in line with my way of thinking...
working hard but at the same time unhappy..
complaining. ..nagging...
Martha, I want to keep changing and growing like you. .
Martha,  you keep inspiring me!
Thank you, Martha..
Today we honour you and your memory and it is  your Feastday!
Happy Feast!  to you Martha!
Dear Jesus,
Thank you for inspiring with the life of Martha..
Lord, do continue to keep giving me shocks as you did with Martha. .
Dear Jesus,
Thank you for your immense patience with me and waiting and watching for to keep growing!
How i wish I could grow faster !!!
Jesus My Lord and My God,
I want to spend some time in silence in your presence. .
Speak to me Lord!!!!
Amen
JoAchen
Wednesday, July 29th,  2015
Joachenmonologues@gmail.com
www.my-monologoues.blogspot.com


Dear Reader,
These Reflections are neither pure scientific exegesis nor are they any highly theological explanations. These are my devotional meditations mainly meant for my personal renewal and spiritual growth. They are a part of the journaling of the pilgrimage of the Prodigal Priest in me. I am happy to share with you. As i keep holding you in my prayers, I request you to include me in yours.
Thank you!











No comments:

Post a Comment