Monday 14 September 2015

78 My Monologues & Musings : The Exaltation of Cross

78 My Monologues & Musings :  The Exaltation of the Cross
Dear Lord Jesus,
Today the Catholic Church observes the Feast of the Exaltation of the Cross.
As the tradition goes the Cross on which you sacrificed your life was left unnoticed and it was traced back little over three hundred years after your crucifixion.
While you were active in your ministry you exhorted us that each one has to take up one's cross and it along the pilgrimage of life which ultimately would lead one to Resurrection, right.
But Lord, it's so hard to take my cross and carry it  as I trudge along. If possible I want either  to avoid my crosses, or to  dodge them, or to skip them, or postpone them.
As you know it so painfully well, it is almost innate to our human nature, when faced with crosses in our daily lives, it is almost innate to our human nature to react: 'if possible let this cup pass by.'
But you did encourage us with your life to overcome our innate tendency to avoid our crosses.
Yet Lord , I have failed and failed often and failed miserably!
You know it, Don't you?
Ever since my childhood either at home or in school I have dodged to face the daily little cross by avoiding to abide by the instructions, advices, and duties.
As a seminarian as well as a young priest I have tried to avoid to carry my crosses.
Most of the times when I taught as a teacher, preached as a priest, administered the Sacraments and cared for the sheep as a pastor, I have tried to avoid the crosses I faced and enjoyed the initial and temporary relief and joy!
But Lord, as you know there were instances I had carried my crosses. Very often I did it with reluctance. At times I did it to impress others! And sometimes I did it willingly and happily.
How I wish, I could multiply those instances where I carried my daily crosses willingly and happily!
How I wish to say as you did:
"yet not what I want but what you want"!

Jesus My Lord and My God,
Thank you for your Self-Sacrificing example of carrying your  cross.
Ever since the Annunciation to your  mother you had face crises one after another,  crises big and small, right?
It started with the misunderstanding between your mother and foster father.
Then your trip to Bethlehem, the ordeal that your parents went through, the threat of King Herod, the flight to Egypt and back, the constant opposition from your religious and political power centres, the betrayal s and abandonment of your disciples,  their  disbelief in your Resurrection and if goes on and on. . , right?
You faced every one of the cross,  you carried them, and became victorious.
How I wish to face my crosses and carry them as you did!
I want to do it with your inspiring and strengthening presence in my life!
Jesus, My  Lord and My God,
I want to keep following you ad I carry my daily crosses.
Amen
JoAchen
Monday, 17th September,  2015
Joachenmonologues@gmail.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment