Friday 26 September 2014

4. My Monologues with Mary

My Monologues 4

My Monologues with Mary 
the Sister of Martha and Lazarus
(Lk 10, Jn 11& 12)

Dear Mary, You are the younger sister of Martha and Lazarus, right? 
Though sisters, you both are very different in your behaviour patterns as well as in your outlook towards life.
Mary, you are rather reserved and quiet While your sister Martha Is outgoing and outspoken.
While you keep sitting and listening to the the Lord, your sister kept working and busying herself with the household chores.
While you are concentrating on the conversation the Lord is having with you, your sister is concerned about providing a good meal to the Lord and thus be a good host.
Sure, you have chosen the right thing as the Lord affirms and defends you.
Mary, it is amazing to see you unshaken by the complaints of your sister and unmoved by the criticisms of Judas.
Mary, you are determined to stay on the course of the action you have chosen, be it listening to the Lord or anointing His feet. 
Mary, you are undaunted by the accusations hurled at you, be it by your sister or by Judas.
Mary, though you come across as a very gentle and quiet person, deep within yourself, you are steel strong. 
There is an "Iron Lady" in you, right, Mary?
But you are like a "Velvet Hammer " soft outside and real solid inside.
You are quite firm without being stubborn, aren't you, Mary?
Mary, you keep your cool, while your sister frets and fumes and while Judas harps on wasting the costly perfume.
Mary, you are very intuitive in picking up the right need of the Lord, while your sister, though very practical misjudges His needs.
Mary, while you happily concentrate and listen to the Lord, your sister is unhappy, distracted and worried.
People of your type are often misunderstood as weak and misjudged as foolish, right, Mary?
Looking at my life, 
Mary, I want you to know that I have been often more like your sister in my behaviours and attitudes, rough and raw, especially during my younger days.
But at times, I used to withdraw and keep aloof. There is a streak in me longing for silence and solitude. I had it as a child. 
They used to say that I have often been quiet and moody. 
Then growing up as a teenager I began to feel that I need to be more of an extrovert to have friends and to be more successful as a youth. The unbridled desire to excel and shine kept energizing me to be more and more outgoing as well as an extrovert.This went on all through my seminary days as well as all through the years as a young priest. 
Now that I am nearing seventy, somehow I keep feeling an urge to be more and more of an introvert and spend more time in silence and solitude. So I find myself perched on a Hill Top Shrine where I am able to have more of that quiet and solitude.
That's me, Mary.

Once again back to the topic: 
Mary, I have been like Judas quick to accuse slow to appreciate. You remember the way he tried to discourage you pouring the perfume for anointing the feet of the Lord, don't you? 
There is a Judas in me too looking for chances to pour cold water on others by making disparaging remarks on the good work they do. Most of the time, like Judas, I have had a hidden agenda whenever I used to be critical of others. I have had an axe to grinde while I am aggressive in accusing others.

Mary, that is Me many a times!

Mary, probably, you are inimitable!
But, how I wish to have a fraction of your dedicated approach even in adverse circum stances and your gentleness coupled with firmness!
How i wish as a Priest I could feel the pulse of the people with whom I live and work and be a caring Pastor!
How i wish to pick and choose the right thing at the right time as you did!
When criticized, I feel rather intimidated and often, either I give up or give in.
Mary, how i wish to keep my path steady like you! 
Sure, I am resolved to keep trying and to learn from my past mistakes and I want to keep renewing this resolve in everyday of my life.
I have often been like Judas, good at throwing a monkey wrench when I see others doing a better job than myself! I want to keep working to change this behavioral pattern which has become a part of me.

Lord, you mince no words while defending the feeble! You don't allow them to be run over by aggressive people like, Martha or Judas.
Through Your reprimands you helped Martha to change and she did.
She did not complain the second time when she served and while Mary anointed your feet.
Do keep reprimanding me too, Lord!
Lord you brought out the best in them as they served you in their own way.
You helped Martha to do her thing without comparing and complaining.
You defended, supported, and encouraged Mary to serve You following her own inner call.
Lord, You never wanted Martha to become a Mary and Mary to become a Martha!
You wanted them to bring out the best in them without comparing and contrasting themselves and live and work together in tandem.
Lord, very many times, I want others to conform to my way of thinking and doing!
I want to be constantly aware that there is place for Martha as well as Mary in serving You.
Lord, in a sense, there is a Martha and there is a Mary in ME and in everyone of us, right?
It is not either Martha or Mary, that we are!
It is both Martha and Mary, that we are!
It is only when they both work harmoniously in me, side by side, recognizing and supporting each other, only then, I can happily remain in Your presence and serve your people the banquet of Your love!
Lord, I want to have You, Martha, Mary, Lazarus and even Judas at the dinner of my everyday life along with the people I live, work, and serve. 
Mary, I have been monologuing to you, right? 
Now I want to spend a few minute in silence, please do speak to me!
Lord, I come to you, 
"Speak Lord!"
As I spend a few minutes in Your Presence in silence, "Speak Lord" speak to me Lord, please! 
That I may strive to bring the best blend of both Martha and Mary in my perspectives and in my daily approaches to my sisters and brothers!
Amen
August 7, 2014

PS
These Reflections are neither pure exegetical interpretations nor highly theological explanations. They are my devotional meditations mainly meant for my personal renewal and spiritual growth and thereby helping me to come closer to my God and to my fellow humans.

Thank you for reading them.

As I keep holding you in my daily prayers, I request you to include me in yours.
Thank you,
JoAchen

No comments:

Post a Comment