Saturday 13 June 2015

46 My Monologues: Father of the Prodigal Son (Lk 15)
"It was agonizingly shocking for me to hear my younger son demanding his share of the ancestral property of the family...
I just couldn't believe my ears..
I couldn't imagine my younger son would make such an uncommon demand.
As per our age old Jewish traditions the ancestral land is passed on to the sons
only after the death of their father.  
I don't know how and why my son could make such an uncommon demand!
I don't know what's wrong with him.
As far as I know he has been rather a happy kid.
He was very active, outgoing, and adventurous.
How could he be so cut and dry?
How could he be so blind and brutal in his demand?
Did he mean that he was impatient with me that I am still alive?
Did he mean that he just couldn't wait until my death so as to have his share of inheritance?
Doesn't he know that's the way things are done in our Jewish culture and community?
Did I become such an unbearable burden for him?
I always thought of myself as a good Abba!
Sure, I don't claim to be an ideal Dad.
Sure, I was strict but never a dictator!
Sure, many a times I had been very, very accommodative of the opinions and the wishes of my sons.
Where have I gone wrong in bringing up my boys?
What have I done to alienate my sons from me?
It pains me to know my younger son preferred to leave me rather than to live with me!
I thought he would get married and move out and settle on his own which is the normal thing.
I could have refused to give in to his demands as it would have been perfectly within my rights.
Well, I was tempted to do so and toyed with the idea of refusing his request.
But better sense prevailed..
I did yield to his demand inviting even ridicule from other elders.
Though I was certain that my son is making a big mistake nothing would convince him.
Though with great anguish I gave him his share of the inheritance.
But,
I was hopeful.
I was optimistic.
I was almost certain he would realize the folly and would return sooner or later.
That's why I was waiting for him and spotted him from far off as he came back.
It was a painful waiting..
It was a patient waiting..
It was a waiting without a fixed schedule.
I did toy with idea to go after him....
in search him..
or send my servants to look for him..
Some of my friends did suggest me to do so..
But once again better sense prevailed..
Had I gone after him, he would have gone further way and would have hardened his resolve never to return,
Thus losing him for good.
Though I lost the initial war and have my son to savor the initial victory,
I was certain, in the end, we both will win!
That's why, I didn't have any grudge, any retaliatory, vengeful feelings towards him.
That's why I didn't negatively react when came.
That's why I didn't scold him when returned. That's why I didn't turn him away when returned.
That's why I didn't cold shoulder him.
I could have given him a mouthful venting out all of my hurt feelings.
But didn’t.
I am glad my son learned the hard way.
I am happy that he realized his mistakes and came back.
I am happy that he asked for forgiveness and pardon.
In fact, his homecoming reminded of the follies of my youthful days!
As I had learned from my past mistakes,
I am glad my son too did so.

Well, it's a quite different story about my elder son!
He too gave me a shock as he refused to accept his repentant brother.
For what and why on earth, was he so dutiful and hardworking?
Why did he get up everyday early in the morning and go to work?
Did he enjoy his work and his life?
What was that he wanted to prove to himself?
Or was he starving for approval from others?
It really pains me to see his emptiness,
his anger, his envy, his insecurity,
and his disconnectedness.
While his brother who had left home came back and re entered his home,
He who had never left home refused to enter his own home and defiantly stood right in front of the house.
I could have waited for him to come in
as I did wait for his brother.
But I knew very well it wasn't easy for him 'to come to his senses'.
So I went out to him..
I pleaded with him..
I persuaded him..
To come in and
Share the Celebrations!
I kept on reassuring him,
'son, all that I have is yours and you will always be with me.'
So far I haven't been able to persuade him to come and join the Celebrations...
But I am in no mood to give up on my elder son..
I have the patience to wait..
I have the optimism to depend..
I know for certain:
My elder son too will
'come to his senses'

I am sure and certain someday
My elder son will realize that:
I am a caring and concerned father,
I am there ever ready to forgive..
I am there ever ready to pardon..
I am there ever ready to wait for my children to return home...
And I shall gladly wait as long as it takes..
Until all of us are at home and celebrating."
Yes,my sons do  help me to keep reminding myself:
I need to keep growing..
I need to keep experiencing:
'the growing pains'
even as I grow old.

Oh, the Father of both the younger and the elder sons,
Thank you for inspiring me,
With your personal Monologues.
Thank you for inspiring me,
With your farsighted generosity in allowing your younger son to have his way and make his share of mistakes.
Thank you for inspiring me,
With your unlimited patience to wait for his return.
Thank you for inspiring me,
With your enduring optimism.
Thank you for inspiring me,
With your unconditional welcoming of your younger son.
Thank you for inspiring me,
With your unrelenting pleading with your elder son.
Thank you for inspiring me,
Above all with your genuine caring paternal love.
All these qualities you share with your sons
make me marvel at you!
You are and will ever be an enduring inspiration for me and for many!
Oh,boy,don't me too need to keep growing?
Thank you!
Wish you a very Happy Father's Day!

Memories of my own father gushes into my mind.
Oh, my Father,
My earliest memory of you revolves around a summer vacation of my childhood days.
It was in an early May or so.
During a summer vacation one of my uncles had come and taken me to his house where my grandparents were living. After a week or so you came to take me back.    

Oh, my Father,
I still remember you coming in an afternoon while I was playing with my cousins and wanted to take me back.
But I didn't want to leave them.  
Then you took me aside and gave me a One Rupee Silver coin and told me I could buy candies on my way back home.
I was thrilled to have the Silver coin as it meant a lot of money for a boy of six or so...
And thus you so carefully persuaded to come with you!
Oh, boy, you were smart, right, Father?

Oh, my Father,
Another memorable event where I  remember you was your presence for my Priestly Ordination. You had to travel one night and two days by railroad covering a distance of over a thousand kilometers (six hundred hundred plus miles) to reach our seminary where the Ordination Ceremony was held.
It was the first and last time you travelled so far away from our home, right?
I still picture you sitting in the front row!

Oh,  my Father,
Yet another cherished memory of you were  the very personal, affectionate letters you wrote me while as a young priest I was studying Sacred Scriptures in Rome.
I have read them over and over especially the ones you very movingly described about the day I was born, about the death of my sick, ailing mother and your soulmate.
We were together just for forty one days!
Then she left us for heaven, right, Father?
I have laminated those letters you had sent  and treasure them. Along with it I have as souvenirs your Wedding Shawl ,your pocketknife, and a few currency notes and changes you had left behind in shelf.
I do treasure them....

Oh, my Father,
The last and lasting memory of you was your Final days...
Your final days were in the hospital.
On a Christmas Evening you were taken to the hospital. As we were there by your , right after the New Year was born you died.  
Now both of you my parents are together in heaven.
You and your soul mate are together  up O  heaven.
Someday i shall join you to be together heaven,
Never ever to be separated again!
Oh, my Father, thank you for all that you been for me...
Thank you!
Happy  Father's Day!

Oh, dear Jesus, My Lord and My God,
Thank you for telling the story of the Father of the Prodigal Son!
While narrating the story you had in mind your own Father, right?
You and your Father had perfect harmony and understanding, didn't you?
You and your Father are one in unison!

Oh, dear Jesus,  My Lord and My God,
Thank you for giving me my Father.
Bless all the Father's who are alive with you up in heaven and who alive here on earth with their loved ones.
May all those Fathers who are alive on earth be happy, healthy, and live long!
May they all have a:
Very Happy Father's Day!

Oh, dear Jesus, My Lord and My God,
I would love to spend some time in silence in your presence gratefully remembering your Father in Heaven as well as my Father
somewhere there in the same place!
Glory be to the Father......
Amen
JoAchen
Sunday 14th June, 2015
my-monologoues.blogspot.in

Dear Reader,
These Reflections are neither pure scientific exegesis nor are they any highly theological explanations. These are my devotional meditations mainly meant for my  personal renewal and spiritual growth. They are a part of the journaling of a 'Prodigal Priest' on my Pilgrimage to the Home of our Heavenly Father.
You are welcome to share them with me.
Dear Reader, I keep holding you in my prayers and I request you to include me in yours.

I plan on uploading a Reflection each on 7th, 14th, 21st, and on the 28th of every month.
Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment